Jane Moore Houghton Phygment Studio
Jane is a mixed media artist who sews story seeds in the imagination of those who still find wonderment in every day!
Every time I start a new series of works I start with a sense of wonder, a speeding up of my pulse, a feeling like I can’t catch up to the things I want to express and the places I want the work to take me. If asked, I would say that my ultimate artist fantasy would be to spend a night in the Hall of Biodiversity in New York City’s Museum of Natural History. The first time I stood in this space and took in all the shapes, patterns and colors it blew my mind. I have learned the power of simple good design from nature. I love pattern, rhythm and layers of experience in art. The “happy accident” nature of mixed media keeps me coming back again and again to see what will happen next in a piece. My intention is to create an experience for the viewer that generates an emotional relationship with a piece, massaging their own creativity and possibility.
I am an artist living and working and raising three children in Central, MA. I graduated from Skidmore College in 1987 with a degree in Studio Art. Part of my undergraduate studies was spent at the University of Wales in Cardiff studying Welsh language and folklore. I started painting seriously and selling my work in 2006. Turning forty was pivotal for me! Teaching art to children for eleven years brought me back to my bliss and I was reminded of what has always made me the happiest: making art. Welcome to my world!
* The spelling of the word figment goes back to college. I created a three-dimensional sculpture of the word: “Phygment” – a play on the fact that I was known as a creative speller. The word stuck and I was known to some in the art department as “Phygment” for years. Also, spelled this way it looks like a welsh word which I prefer.
Shows and Awards
- 2016 Princeton Arts Society 25th Anniversary Exhibition
- 2015 (September-December) "Story Seeds" Short Stories Gallery, Madison, NJ
- 2015 (10/29-12/02) "Selected Works" Reuben Hoar Gallery, Littleton, MA
- 2014-2015 ( 11/2014-2/2015) "Beasts" series. ArtsWorcester @ Hanover Theatre Gallery
- 2014 Short Stories Gallery, "current small works" Madison, NJ
- 2012 Mad Hatter Gallery, "Birds" series Marlborough, MA.
- 2009 The Sturbridge Coffee House, Sturbridge, MA
- 2008 Gale Free Library, Holden, MA
- 2007 Newton Free Library, "Friends" seriesNewton, MA
Selected Group Shows
- 2014 "ONE, Redux" Aurora Gallery, Worcester, MA
- 2013 “Blooms” Mad Hatter Gallery, Marlborough, MA
- 2012 “Six Degrees” curated by Wendy Cohen. Kingston, NY
- 2012 Alumni show. Tang Gallery, Saratoga Springs, NY
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2016 "Arapawa Goat" awarded first place for creativity in Princeton Arts Society's 25th Anniversary Art Exhibit by Barry Van Dusen.
- 2015 "Antongil Humpback Whale" selected as a finalist out of 7,500 entries in the Animal/Wildlife category of The Artist's Magazine 32nd Annual Art Competition.
- 2015 Invited to speak at the Nantucket Whaling Museum about my Beasts series and the process of embroidering on tissue paper. June 29th @ 6pm.
- 2014 Featured artist on Gabriella Buckingham's blog: http://www.gabriellabuckingham.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/friday-finds-artist-jane-moore-houghton.html
- 2014 Featured guest on Design Recharge Showhttp://big.spreecast.com/breathing-life-to-illustrations/embed-small-preload
- 2013 Nov/Dec issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors Magazine. Feature article, “Delicate Threads”. An article featuring my unique embroidery on tissue paper technique.
- 2013 Feature article in Go Local Worcester online newspaper
- 2012 First Place for “Regeneration” watercolor, oil stick and beeswax on wood panel
- 2008 Featured guest on local public television, “Faces and Places” show
1991 M.Ed The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1987 B.S. Studio Art, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
1986-’87 Independent Study in Welsh Studies, The University of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Selected Professional Courses
- Illustrating Children's Books with Lilla Rogers and Zoe Tucker (Scholastic UK)
- The Working Artist with Crista Cloutier: a business course for artists who are serious about selling their work professionally.
- Make Art That Sells with Lilla Rogers: a six week intensive course in building a professional portfolio while being exposed to 5 of the most lucrative markets for art: bolt fabric, home décor, children's books, wall art, gift with one of the industries top agents.
- Make Art That Sells Bootcamp with Lilla Rogers: A six month program designed to help build a professional portfolio in a variety of markets.
- Photoshop and Illustrator for Professionals - MassArt: best practices for smoother work flow and deadline completion
- Hello Soul, Hello Business with Kelly Rae Roberts and Beth Nicholls: an online intensive course to help creative entrepreneurs build a business driven by purpose and passion.
In the news: links and articles about Jane's work
- 2017 Rise, Design and Shine - featured artist interview
- 2015 Bella Online Magazine: Beasts Series
- 2014/2015 Press Release for the Beasts series
- 2014 Skype interview with Diane Gibbs of the online Design Recharge Show
- 2014 interview with Gabriella Buckingham on her "A Creative Life" blog
- 2013 Article in Go Local Worcester online magazine
- 2013 Article in 11/2013-12/2014 of Cloth, Paper, Scissors Magazine